Let’s face it, we’re all unique. Just as our bodies come in all shapes and sizes, so control briefs come in a variety of styles, cuts and size options. If you’re looking to purchase plus size control briefs, it’s important to think about what you need, and why you need it. This is especially important when shopping online, as briefs aren’t always returnable. However, given the stress of trying on underwear in stores, many women now prefer to shop for intimate and foundation garments online.
So in order to choose what’s right for you, here’s our advice on what you need to consider, before clicking ‘buy now’:
Level of Control
Before making your purchase, it’s time to think about the level of control you need. As a general rule, there are three levels of control:
- Light – if you’re only looking for subtle contouring, then light control will help subtly home your curves.
- Medium – great for everyday wear, medium control briefs will give you a good level of sculpting, while still allowing you to easily go about everyday tasks.
- Firm – the highest level of control delivers fantastic body shaping and streamlining. However, firm control briefs can be uncomfortable if they’re worn all day, so tend to be best for occasion and evening wear only.
Your Target Body Area
It’s time to look in the mirror folks, and admire your curves but be honest about which areas you need to smooth and hone. Control briefs can be used to control the following areas:
- Tummy – this may sound obvious, but the number one reason we buy control briefs? Yes, it’s to achieve a smaller waistline, from athletic flatness to voluptuous hourglass, control briefs can help women of all sizes achieve their midriff goals.
- Hips – worried those hips can’t lie? No problem! The right control briefs will have built-in panels to pull you in where needed and create gorgeous curves just where you need them.
- Butt – some shapewear comes with built-in butt shaping, including lifting and padding, to help you achieve Kardashian-esque curves.
- Abdomen – high waisted control briefs can help control the area between your waist and bra, perfect for the apple shaped ladies among us.
- Thighs – shaping short style control briefs will also help smooth and sculpt your thighs.
We all know that control briefs tend to come in three colour choices – black, tan or white. For the most discreet coverage and control, we recommend tan coloured briefs. However, if you’re not wearing a light coloured outfit you can afford to experiment, so why go for a dull colour? Burgundy, navy blue and deep reds all look fabulous and you can find many matching sets where the briefs have control panels, from light to medium control.
While we’re on the subject, if you find a style that’s comfortable, then why not order a few of the same, or one in each colourway? That way, you’ll always have spares as well as colours to wear under your whole wardrobe. From dark bottoms to light separates, from winter to summer and from day to evening wear, if you find a pair you like then definitely order more than one!
Briefs come in a range of styles – including high-waisted, Brazilian, bikini, thong and shaping shorts. There’s no reason you can’t experiment with different styles and go for a light control panel; however, if you’re looking for ultimate tummy control then you should purchase high-waisted control briefs. Long-legged shaping shorts are a fantastic option for thigh sculpting, and also prevent skin chaffing during the summer months, so are a win-win under figure-hugging trousers and skirts. Brazilian and thong style control briefs are excellent if you want to avoid a VPL, but these will tend to only offer light control – or medium control at best.
Be True to Your Sizing
This final point is imperative. Control briefs should skim your body, redefining your fabulous curves. Make sure you take accurate measurements, using a tape measure to check your waist, butt and thigh dimensions. Don’t go by your dress size, as this varies from store to store and isn’t an accurate way to determine your size for shapewear. If you don’t have a tape measure to hand, use some string and check this against a tape measure later. Make sure you’re standing and take the measurements while undressed – not through your clothes. Consult the size guides (as well as any online reviews) and order the correct size for you.
Be honest here. Wearing shapewear that’s too small for you will simply displace the weight elsewhere, causing unsightly lumps and bumps just where you don’t need them. By the same token, don’t be tempted to intentionally go for a size that’s smaller, thinking this will give you a neater shape. All this will do is displace the weight, be incredibly uncomfortable – and even dangerous if circulation is blocked off. By choosing the right size, your control brief will work brilliantly for you, giving you the silhouette of your dreams.
We hope this article has taken the stress out of your online shopping. Here at Elle Courbee, we have a fantastic range of plus size control briefs for you to choose from. We only select the best out there, and with our comprehensive size guides you can shop with confidence and be sure of a fantastic fit. Browse our control briefs and if you have any queries, contact us on [email protected].